Current:Home > ContactUNESCO adds World War I remembrance sites to its prestigious heritage registry -Capitatum
UNESCO adds World War I remembrance sites to its prestigious heritage registry
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 21:46:09
PARIS (AP) — UNESCO added World War I funerary and memorial locations across the Western Front to its prestigious World Heritage registry, expanding its list of landmarks of monumental importance.
The World Heritage Committee announced the decision Wednesday during its ongoing meeting in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The list includes sites the panel has deemed “of outstanding value to humanity,” according to the agency, and deserving of ”special protection” — including funding and international protection in times of war under the Geneva Convention.
The newly added sites stretch from Belgium’s north to eastern France, battle zones where the Allied forces clashed with the German army from 1914 to 1918. The array of sanctuaries ranges from expansive necropolises bearing multitudes of soldiers from different nationalities to humbler graveyards and individual monuments.
The list previously included 1,157 sites notable for their extraordinary natural wonders or distinctive human contributions.
From the archaeological remnants of Turkey’s Gordion to the well-preserved Jewish heritage sites in Germany, this year’s additions aimed at encouraging reflection and admiration for world culture, according to UNESCO.
In a statement released Wednesday, France’s defense ministry hailed the decision as a recognition of the “exceptional universal value” these WWI sites hold, marking a meaningful counter to the “inhumanity of war.”
Belgium and France have been campaigning to include these sites in UNESCO’s registry since the early 2010s. Sites are nominated to and designated by the U.N. cultural agency’s World Heritage Convention.
The incorporation of the WWI memorial grounds into the World Heritage List is meant to be a testimony to the legacy of the fallen soldiers, according to UNESCO.
veryGood! (13779)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Why Britney Spears Will Likely Still Pay Child Support to Ex Kevin Federline After Jayden's 18th Birthday
- Nicole Kidman speaks out after death of mother Janelle
- Shohei Ohtani pitching in playoffs? Dodgers say odds for return 'not zero'
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Chad McQueen, 'The Karate Kid' actor and son of Steve McQueen, dies at 63
- Minnesota school bus driver accused of DUI with 18 kids on board
- Retired Oklahoma Catholic bishop Edward Slattery dies at 84
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Grey's Anatomy's Jesse Williams Accuses Ex-Wife of Gatekeeping Their Kids in Yearslong Custody Case
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Lil Wayne feels hurt after being passed over as Super Bowl halftime headliner. The snub ‘broke’ him
- Cooler weather in Southern California helps in wildfire battle
- A tech company hired a top NYC official’s brother. A private meeting and $1.4M in contracts followed
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Tiger Woods undergoes another back surgery, says it 'went smothly'
- Meet Little Moo Deng, the Playful Baby Hippo Who Has Stolen Hearts Everywhere
- Fani Willis skips a Georgia state Senate hearing while challenging subpoena
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Judge frees Colorado paramedic convicted in death of Elijah McClain from prison
Indianapolis man gets 60 years for a road rage shooting that killed a man
When do new episodes of 'Tulsa King' come out? Season 2 premiere date, cast, where to watch
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Gunman says he heard ‘killing voices’ before Colorado supermarket shooting
Man pleads guilty in Indiana mall shooting that wounded one person last year
Report finds ‘no evidence’ Hawaii officials prepared for wildfire that killed 102 despite warnings